Thursday 6 September 2012

Day two Calais to Arras


Another relatively early start we left Calais in slightly chilly conditions and headed south alongside a canal through some beautiful villages. The roads were exceptionally quiet and above all smooth.  As they are reasonably level we made good pace, I left Ben far behind as he was gassing with our new friends and I needed to confirm I was up to the pace.  Then we hit the hilly bits now long and drawn out not short and sharp as in Kent. We stopped for water in a forest after 20miles  then lunch after 50 miles. Another sumptuous feast served with a side dressing of wasp.. Then my most gruelling stint to date  a further 23 miles to water. Stop in unbroken heat, each hill was the steepest I've yet encountered no matter how small. We eventually arrive in Arras at 6.30 as a group of 5, bowed but not unbeaten. We have now gone 20 miles past the half way point.
Tomorrow it's the Somme

No comments:

Post a Comment